We survived the year

We survived the year

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Boats


With gale force winds and rain expected for the end of the week I thought I better get out again, so I spent a couple of hours wandering around the harbour in Weymouth. It is such a pretty harbour with little fishing boats and grand old buildings lining the edge (see the photo album for some more images). You would not believe it but this is the view 20 metres up from our Council building. Early in the morning you can sit and watch the fishing boats come in and unload their catch from the night.

Weymouth has been a port for many Centuries and evidence shows that Roman Galleys sailed up the River Wey as far as Radipole where they could be beached and cargo unloaded for transport to the Roman Town of Durnovaria (now known as Dorchester which is not far from where we are living).

While I tasted my first english "fish and chips" on the weekend I must say that I think I will be buying it fresh from the local fishmonger from now on. I reccon I could run a car for a year on the amount of oil in the fish.

So another weekend over and back to work for another week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought there was no blue sky in Weymouth! Your photo of wharf boats is fantastic, have been to that pub. Love mum

Anonymous said...

Dear Jim,
Happy Birthday
I hope this is a couple of days late (you know why) Love the photos. We have been talking to Kath, we will catch up with her later this week. The boys are looking forward to seeing the girls. The soccer game sounded fantastic. We will try to ring you some time soon, when we work out the time factors.
Love
Big Bro, Ally and the boys