We survived the year

We survived the year

Saturday, January 19, 2008

A day in the life of a tourist

Next day, leaving the kids by the pool I thought I would do a simple task and go and buy some fruit. After getting mollested by multiple caleche drivers, taxis, shop owners, beggers and I swear even a stray cat pinned me in a corner and demaded "bakish" (money). I really was starting to realise how friendly Cairo was. After much looking and no sign of fruit stalls I finally relented and agreed a price with a caleche driver to take me to the markets and back. After agreeing a price and much friendly chatter we arrived - he even offered to buy me the fruit from the stall. See - Luxor is not that bad after all.................. until 3 seconds after I got back in that he demanded we stop and look at one of his friends shop. After strong words he then said the agreed price was british pounds not egyptian (about 10 times more). By this stage i was considering throwing my self out of the carriage but luckily he stopped so it was time to make a leap. So here i was in the middle of Luxor having no idea where I was.

So returning to what I know best i jumped in the local mini bus heading in what I though was the right direction. Amazingly it went back past our hotel. An interesting experience all for a bag of oranges and bannanas.

I think tommorow we might take an organised trip to the tombs???

No comments: