We survived the year

We survived the year

Friday, January 25, 2008

The Last Chapter

There comes a time whilst travelling that the cravings for things you can only find at home turns into a yearning. No – not just for Vegemite. I missed watching Carlton get flogged. I missed sunshine. I missed the screeching noise of cicadas’ in the later afternoon. I missed Eddie Maguire's hosting “Who Want's to be a Millionaire” rather than the Greek Spiros Marionos, Italian Fabio Velentino or Egyptian Abdul-Haleem. I missed our supermarkets. I missed playing in my garden. I missed some bloody great friends. I missed home.

And so it was time to head to the airport for one last time. After picking up some luggage left in Heathrow while we were travelling (no need for the thirty extra pairs of Kathy’s pants in Europe) we now had enough suite cases to cater for 50 people. But unfortunately we were not travelling Business Class so were limited to 1 case and 1 hand luggage each. I was beginning to think it may have been cheaper to fly business class rather than pay for the extra bags. After much packing and unpacking, discarding snow boots and kitchen sinks, giving away prams and kids clothing, we were down to 1 bag extra – not bad for 12 months away. However this was on the assumption that the 50kg crammed in to my day pack would go un-noticed at check in.
Unfortunately the sweat running down my face and the excruciating pained expression as my body was bent backwards due to the weight was noticed - “can you put your bag on the scales sir”. So now we had a bag and a half to send back as cargo. Another repack (including my travel diary) and the luggage was on a slow boat to home.

The family on the other hand were heading for the plane – not together but Kathy and the kids flying Virgin Atlantic and me Singapore airlines. Now due to my testicles being removed earlier due to this decision I don’t want to go in to the specifics of why we flew separately but at least we were leaving and arriving at the same time. Now I could tell you all about being upgraded to business class and having a supermodel sitting next to me but there is no way I would say anything as Kathy endured 23 hours in a confined space with three children.

But here we are now – home. The end of a fantastic 13 months and a life changing experience for us all. I am going to miss writing this blog and boring you all about what we are doing but it is time to hang up the key board for the last time. But before I do I might do one more to capture the best - and worst – of our adventure. But you will have to wait a week or so for me to overcome the jet lag – it is 1am as I sit and type this so must go and force my self to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME TO OUR SPECIAL FAMILY

All our prayers answered, home safely. So many wonderful stories to tell and memories to last forever.

Love Mum and Dad